LHADirect - Local Housing Allowances (LHA)
Calculate how many bedrooms you are entitled to under Local Housing Allowance (LHA) and find out what your LHA rate is.
LHA rates are used to calculate housing benefit for tenants renting from private landlords. LHA rates depend on the area you are making your claim in. These areas are called Broad Rental Market Areas (BRMA).
LHA rates are updated annually each April.
Checking your LHA rates
To check your LHA rates you will need:
- details of how many people live in your household, including family members, non-dependants, boarders and sub-tenants
- to know whether you are entitled to an additional bedroom for someone not living with you, but who provides necessary overnight care for you or your partner
- the postcode of the property you rent or want to rent, or the local authority where it's situated
If you're not sure who belongs to your household for housing benefit purposes, contact the housing benefit department at the local authority.
Calculate bedrooms and find LHA rates
Calculate your bedroom entitlement under Local Housing Allowance or find your LHA rate.
When you don't need to use the bedroom calculator
Choose the Shared accommodation rate in Find LHA rates if one or more of the below applies:
- you are one of a couple, don't live with dependants and rent a room in a shared home
- you are 34 years or younger and live alone (there are exemptions for severely disabled people, care leavers under 22 years of age or those with a bedroom used by care workers providing overnight care)
- you are 35 years or over and rent a room for your sole use in a shared home
Choose the 1 bedroom rate if you are 35 years or over and rent a self-contained property (eg a whole flat or house).
LHADirect is not suitable for everyone
If you are in one of the following groups, please contact your local council for advice:
- a tenant claiming for a mooring or the letting of a house boat / other vessel used as a dwelling
- a tenant claiming for a caravan site rent or the letting of a caravan / mobile home
- a tenant whose rent includes a substantial amount for board and attendance
- someone living in a hostel
- a Rent Act protected tenant
Find out how Local Housing Allowance rates are set
There is further information available on